MBA Family Enterprise Focus
The MBA Family Enterprise Focus is intended to prepare students for leadership in their family firms. It will complement their MBA coursework by providing a lens with which to view other academic disciplines. Students also may choose to couple this Focus with a Concentration in another area of interest.
Students will be able to customize this Focus to create a learning plan that will address the strategic vision of their family firms and that will build upon their individual strengths. A key benefit is a robust network of peers and family business leaders that will be a resource both during and after their UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA experience.
MBA Focus Requirements
To receive a certificate of completion for the Family Enterprise Focus, MBA students must complete a total of five (5) courses or the equivalent of 7.5 credits from the following list:
Required: Two Courses (total of 3.0 credits)
- MBA 843A: Family Business I: Introduction to Family Enterprise (Steve Miller & Cooper Biersach)
- MBA 843B: Family Business II: Governance & Ownership in the Family Firm (Steve Miller & Cooper Biersach)
Electives: Minimum of three courses (total of 4.5 credits):
- MBA 794: Private Wealth Management
- MBA 799: Governance and Financial Accountability
- MBA 805: Corporate Strategy
- MBA 807: Leadership Immersion
- MBA 817: Venture Capital Valuation and Deal Structure
- MBA 823: Leading from the Middle
- MBA 828: Strategic Innovation
- MBA 835: Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- MBA 843: Entrepreneurship through Acquisitions: Structuring your Buyout
- MBA 846A: Private Equity
- MBA 846J: Business Plan Analysis
- MBA 846K: Startups: Ideas, Passion, and Intellectual Property
- MBA845: Navigating Self, Conflict, and Change
- MBA 847: Sales Management
- MBA 848A: Launching the Venture: Opportunity
- MBA 848B: Launching the Venture: Feasibility
- MBA 848C: Launching the Venture: Business Planning
- MBA 848D: Launching the Venture: Financing
- MBA 853B Real Estate Law
- MBA 853C International Real Estate Investment
- MBA 853D Real Estate Macroeconomics and Securities Markets
- MBA 853E Financing Real Estate in Today’s Capital Markets
- MBA 854 Real Estate Development Process – Development
- MBA 854A Real Estate Development – Finance
- MBA 880P: STAR/ Leadership Project
- MBA 852 Real Estate Process
The coordinator for the Family Enterprise Focus is Cooper Biersach. Please contact her with questions.
Students interested in the Family Enterprise Focus also will benefit by availing themselves of the following FEC resources.
The MBA Family Enterprise Focus is intended to prepare students for leadership in their family firms.